FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Wednesday, October 26, 2022
CONTACT: email@example.com, (714) 696-6048
GARDEN GROVE, CA – While Michelle Steel weathers intensifying condemnation for her deceptive and xenophobic campaign tactics, LAist reported on the Vietnamese community’s on-the-ground pushback against Steel’s disinformation campaign that preys on the community’s trauma.
“The Vietnamese community in CA-45 is tired of Steel’s manipulation and dishonesty. They are fed up with Steel’s false attacks and incitement of fear all so she can maintain power,” said Lt. Commander Jay Chen (res). “While Steel doubles down on deceptive campaigning, our campaign is leading with solutions to the issues that voters actually care about, like improving our local economy, keeping our kids safe, and protecting a woman’s right to make her own healthcare decisions.”
National AAPI groups and leaders are united in condemning Michelle Steel’s racist campaign tactics:
- U.S. Senator Mazie Hirono’s statement condemning Michelle Steel’s shameless attacks
- U.S. Senator Tammy Duckworth’s statement on Michelle Steel stoking anti-Asian hate.
- The Committee of 100, a group of influential Chinese American leaders, including Republican candidate for California State Controller Lanhee Chen, called on Rep. Michelle Steel to remove her false and hateful attack ads.
- CAPAC Chair Rep. Judy Chu’s statement on Steel’s attack on Chen’s patriotism.
- Following Steel’s release of a xenophobic ad attacking Lt. Commander Jay Chen, Asian Americans for Good Government PAC issued a statement denouncing the racist attacks and rescinded their endorsement of her campaign.
- The Congressional Asian Pacific American Caucus Leadership PAC denounced Steel’s dangerous campaign tactics last week.
- In-language AAPI outlets have condemned Steel’s willingness to weaponize disinformation and harmful stereotypes.
- An article in the LA Times details the disgusting and false attacks Michelle Steel has used to try and smear her opponent Lt. Commander Jay Chen – specifically targeting immigrant communities.
- The Orange County community has expressed outrage at Steel’s desperate tactics. In a press conference this month, local veterans joined Lt. Commander Jay Chen alongside House Committee on Veterans’ Affairs Chairman Mark Takano (CA-41) and Marine Corps Veteran and Congressman Ruben Gallego (AZ-07) to publicly denounce Michelle Steel’s attempt to question the patriotism of a service member.
- A recent Letter to the Editor published in the LA Times slammed Congresswoman Steel’s tactics, arguing that her shameful tactics are sadly in line with the extremist Republican party and that Steel “aligns herself with a party that wants to turn our democracy into something that resembles a dictatorship.”